I was able to get a TI-89 on my desktop fairly painlessly using Wine. Years ago, I owned an 89, but it was destroyed in a tragic high school chemistry lab.
- First, I downloaded and installed wine 0.9.4.
- I then used WineTools vt0.9jo to properly setup my wine environment, installing all the Windows pieces that makes wine so much easier to work with.
- I downloaded Virtual TI from http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/84/8442.html
- I extracted the vti.zip, and moved it inside my ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ so it would be easier to find, and along with all my other Windows apps.
- I then found the rom backup from before the chemistry disaster, and moved it into the vti folder as well.
- I ran Virtual TI with wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/vti/Vti.exe and told it where to find the rom.
Now, I can do my homework with the same hardware I’ll borrow from my roommate to use during the test!